Sunday 18 December 2011

We built the maps

When we first decided to leave, we had no directions, only vague feelings about how far from home we wanted to be. So you took the compass and drew a circle of 100 km all around. We chose a place on the circle where none of us had ever been before.
Because we were not afraid to go anywhere together, direction or no direction.
And I made sandwiches and coffee and we took an umbrella and that was it. Back then, we didn't need more to make us happy.
But most importantly, we were going to travel blind. There were no maps for that place.
So we made the maps. Cut and paste and put the world together. We built the roads and the rails and the train engines.

And now, at the end of all roads, as I am packing my life away, can you please tell me what should I do with the maps that we built? Should I stow them away on the bottom of a box, never look at them again? Should I burn them and erase you from thought? Should I keep them on the top shelf and take my new lovers to the same places?

Never again will any world be as new as the one we started building that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment